Elms College will hold is 89th commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 16, 2020 at the MassMutual Center in Springfield, MA.
- Arrive at MassMutual Convention Center- 1277 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01103 by 8:30 a.m.
- You will go to the Exhibition Hall A (“staging area”)
- In the staging area you will robe with your gown, cap and hood
- Staff and Faculty will direct you where to line up.
- Do NOT leave any valuables in the staging area so do not not bring bags or big purses!
- Turn off your cell phone or set to vibrate once ceremony begins.
- Tassels go on the right (Dr. Breau will tell you when to move the tassel after everyone has received diplomas).
- Remember to take your name card with you, which you will receive in the staging area.
- You enter in alphabetical single file by degree: AA-BA-BS-MAAT-MAT-MBA-MED-MS-MSN-MSN/MBA Dual Degree- CAGS-DNP
- Download detailed commencement day instructions here.
- Graduating students attending the commencement ceremony or any other Elms sponsored event who will require special accommodations or special arrangements should contact SASS to discuss the necessary arrangements in advance.
- Family and friends attending graduation events who may require special accommodations should contact Tynisha Henderson, director of student accommodations and support services, directly at 413-265-2333 or .
- The MassMutual Center has reserved seating sections available for individuals who use wheelchairs or who have mobility challenges. The spaces are limited, so please plan accordingly. A MassMutual attendant may be able to assist you in locating these sections and may be able to assist any person in need, including escorting guests to accessible seating areas.
- The MassMutual Center offers drop-off and pick-up areas at the Box Office entrance on the corner of Bruce Landon Way and Main Street for guests requiring mobility assistance.
An interpreter for those who are hearing-impaired will be part of the commencement ceremony.
- If you have specific needs not listed above nor on the MassMutual Center Accessibility link below, please contact Tynisha Henderson at 413-265-2333 or .
Caps, Gowns and Hoods
The color of the hood on your robe represents your major so please make sure you’ve received the correct color:
- Division of Business (Brown Hoods)
- Division of Education (Blue Hoods)
- Division of Humanities & Find Arts (White Hoods)
- Division of Natural Sciences, Mathematics & Technology (Gold Hoods)
- Division of Nursing (Peach Hoods)
- Division of Social Sciences (Various Colored Hoods)
Invitations and Tickets
No tickets are needed. The event is general admission, arena seating.
Diplomas and Honors
Honor cords are given to undergraduate students who will graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. Honor cords will be available in the Registrar’s Office. Cords will also be available at the MassMutual Center prior to commencement lineup.
Photographs and Social Sharing
During Commencement, a professional photographer will be taking your photo as you are handed your diploma. In the weeks after commencement, Commencement Photos will be contacting you and your family to be able to purchase these photos.